What is the eligibility criteria?
- Scholarship will be awarded to the students who have secured not less than 50% marks or equivalent grade in the previous final examination.
- 30% of scholarship will be earmarked for girl students. In case sufficient number of eligible girl students are not available, then the balance earmarked scholarships may be awarded to eligible boy students.
- The annual income of parents/guardian, from all sources, must not exceed INR 2 lakh.
- Unlike scholarship for SC and ST, there are fixed number of scholarships for minorities and hence, preference for selection has been laid down.
- Students from BPL families, having the lowest income shall be given preference in the ascending order.
- The renewal applications would be fully exhausted before the new applications are considered.
- The award will be discontinued if a student fails to secure 50% marks or equivalent grade in the previous final examination.
- Scholarship will not be awarded for more than the normal period of time taken to obtain Certificate/Degree/M. Phil Degree/Doctorate Degree.
- Scholarships will not be given to more than two students in a family.
- The students should be regular in attendance for which the yardstick will be decided by the competent authority of the school/college/university.
- Migration of students from one Institution to another would not normally be allowed during the course of the academic year except under exceptional circumstances and in the interest of the student’s academic career.
- If a student violates any other term and condition of the scholarship, the scholarship may be suspended or cancelled. The State Government/Union Territory Administration can also directly cancel the award if duly satisfied of the reasons of violation of these regulations governing the scheme.
- If a student is found to have obtained a scholarship by false statement/certificates, his/her scholarship will be cancelled forthwith and the amount of the scholarship paid shall be recovered, at the discretion of the concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration.
- Course fee/tuition fee and maintenance allowance will be credited directly to the students’ bank account.
- The State Government/Union Territory Administration will maintain a separate account and records relating to the funds received from the Ministry and they will be subjected to inspection by the officers of the Ministry or any other agency designated by the Ministry.
- The student obtaining benefits under this scholarship scheme shall not be allowed to avail benefits under any other scholarship scheme implemented by State Government/UT Administration, for the same purpose.
- The State Government/ Union Territory Administration shall constitute a Committee of the departments implementing such scholarship schemes to ensure that the students from the minority community, who may also belong to SC/ST/OBC category, does not avail scholarship from other sources for the same purpose and avail only from one source.
- The fund for distribution of scholarships in subsequent years will be released after receiving the utilisation certificate for the previous year.
- The scheme will be evaluated at regular intervals by the Ministry or any other agency designated by the Ministry and the cost of the evaluation study will be borne by the Ministry under the provision of the scheme.
What is the application process ?
Step 1- Apply online on www.scholarships.gov.in.
Step 2- The list of documents to be scanned & uploaded for both Fresh and Renewal Scholarships as under :
- Student Photo (Mandatory)
- Institution Verification Form (Mandatory)
- Self-declaration of Income Certificate by the student (Mandatory)
- Self-declaration of community by the student (Mandatory)
- In case of Fresh: Self Attested Certificate of ‘Previous Academic Mark sheet’ as filled in form (Mandatory)
- In case of Renewal: Self-Attested Certificate of Previous Year Mark sheet as filled in the form (Mandatory)
- Fee Receipt of current course year (Mandatory)
- Proof of Bank Account in the name of student (Mandatory)
- Aadhaar Card (optional)
- Residential Certificate (Mandatory)
- The State/Union Territory shall place all relevant details of financial and physical achievements on their website
- The regulations can be changed at any time at the discretion of the Government of India
- The concerned State Government/Union Territory Administration will be responsible for processing and scrutinising the applications submitted by the students (as per the work flow opted) and send the proposal of eligible students online to this Ministry for sanction of the scholarships as per timelines.
What is the process of selection?
The monitoring of the financial and physical performance of the scheme will be evaluated by assigning evaluation/impact studies to reputed institutions/agencies by the Ministry of Minority Affairs, Government of India.
What is the objective ?
The objective of the scheme is to award scholarships to meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections of minority communities so as to provide them better opportunities for higher education, increase their rate of attainment in higher education and enhance their employability.